Elderly people are generally more prone to falls. If you are caring for a loved one living independently and are concerned they are at increased risk of falling, our Locaite.me SOS and Fall alert pendant can alert you so you can assist as quickly as possible.
There are a number of factors that can cause falls, including:
- Decreased physical ability: As people age, their physical abilities may decline, including their balance, strength, flexibility, and coordination.
- Health conditions: Chronic health conditions such as arthritis, osteoporosis, Parkinson’s disease, and stroke can affect mobility.
- Medications: Some medications, such as sedatives, tranquilizers, and blood pressure medications, can cause dizziness, drowsiness, or balance problems.
- Environmental hazards: Environmental factors such as uneven floors, poor lighting, loose rugs, and clutter..
- Vision and hearing impairments: Poor vision and hearing can affect a person’s balance and spatial awareness.
- Cognitive impairments: Dementia and other cognitive impairments can affect a person’s ability to navigate their environment safely.
Falls among the elderly are a serious concern, and it is important to take any possible steps to prevent them, such as regular exercise, maintaining a healthy diet, managing chronic health conditions, reviewing medications with a healthcare provider, and making environmental modifications to reduce hazards.